Life's Highway

I wrote this on March 27, 2011. I realized I never published this on my blog.  No I wasn't high on anything. I was on my way to work when this came to me. This is how I felt and I'm sure you can find many metaphors in this.  What is your opinion of this?


Life's Highway

I'm driving down the highway, fog surrounding me, Garth Brooks singing about a Dance on the radio, and I am the only car on the road.
As I fly along, going over the humps, I notice there is nothing around for miles. No entrance ramps, no exit lanes, miles and miles of lonely highway.
I look down at my speedometer and there is only one speed, full on 80.  Seems to me I’m going nowhere, fast. As I come over the next hump the highway splits off into three different directions
Straight, a whacky sharp curve to the right, and another whacky sharp curve to the left. My wheel can not turn so I continue on straight but I can see where those other two curves lead, up, over, and then back onto the main highway.
My heart begins to catch up with my car as I approach the hump. This time I fly forward at the sudden drop of the road, falling toward the highway, swerving as I touchdown.
Another hump come at me fast as the fog begins to lift slightly, allowing me to see just a little further away. Still miles and miles of nothing.
Another car comes racing by, passes me easily, before disappearing off into the distance.  Alone I drive on.
Things start popping up on the feeder road but I have no way to get to them.  They fly past me in a blur.
The song ends but starts playing over. Everything around me is a blur. Nothing but highway coming at me. My speedometer now reads 101.
My heart slows down but the highway does not. A light flashes across my windshield and I’m at a four way stop.  Where do I go from here?  Where do I go from here?

No comments:

Post a Comment